Wednesday 27 April 2011

Seed vs Meadowmat - 5 days on

Well, it's been a few days now since I sowed my wild flower seeds and installed my Meadowmat so I guess it's time I recorded my thoughts.
5 days after installation and the plants are
 beginning to put out new roots
Both areas have been well watered to make sure they get off to a good start. 

The Meadowmat is looking good and I'm amazed at how quickly new white roots are starting to shoot out into my soil.

There are also quite a few new shoots appearing in the seeded wild flower bed.  This is quite worrying.  Now I'm no Alan Titchmarsh, but I've been fiddling about in gardens for long enough to know that wild flower seeds don't germinate in such a short time.  These seedlings appeared just a couple of days after I'd sown the wild flowers and they're big enough now to be identifiable.  There are a couple of sunflowers - self sown from last year.  I can live with them.  But horror of horrors, I should have known it.  The strongest seedlings to have shown themselves quite clearly belong to my arch nemesis - perennial bindweed.  Quite how I'm going to control this beast amongst my lovely wild flowers remains to be seen.  Suggestions on a postcard please.......

No comments: