I'm happy to say that the book is amazing and I could certainly recommend it to professional garden designers as well as to interested amateur gardeners like myself.
Here's an extract from the book, see what you think
There are a few rules of thumb in attracting butterflies into the garden:-
- Butterflies are attracted foremost by sight, so home in on large clumps of the same flower.
- They seem to prefer purples, deep pinks and sometimes yellow and white, and do not go to deep reds at all
- They need to feed in warm, sunny places, sheltered from the wind.
- The individual flowers hould be single; doubles and other fancy cultivars are often ignored.
- The nectar plants need to be well-watered in times of drought so that enough runny nectar is produced.
- Provide different laval food plants for different species and,
- of course, there can't be any spraying of insecticides!